As your editor, I perform two roles.
I act as a representative of your audience—a "first reader." Then I make your content clear, understandable, and reader-friendly.
I also present you, the writer, in the best possible light by ensuring that your document is polished and error-free.
To accomplish this, I carry out any or all of the four essential editorial tasks. In order of complexity, these tasks are:
Developmental Editing. The most complex. I work with the author, developing the concept or early draft, determining the format, and identifying supplementary material. More
Substantive Editing I analyse sentences and paragraphs, paying attention to continuity, flow, tone, structure, and syntax. Some reorganization may take place. More
Copy Editing. I analyse the text line-by-line, ensuring correct spelling, punctuation, grammar, word usage, and continuity of style. More
Proofreading. The final edit. As proofreader, I identify incontestable errors. These include spelling, punctuation, grammatical, and word usage errors. More
I also edit Web Content. I will review your existing Web site and edit the content—correcting grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors. More
How an Editor Can Help You Succeed (article)
An editor ensures that your documents or Web content are clear, accurate, and appropriate, so that your readers understand them—the first time. An editor saves you money and time and makes you look good. Read full article.
I work with you from the beginning of the project. Together we will expand key concepts and ideas and develop the manuscript or online content. I will also:
- advise concerning the overall organization.
- identify possible additions.These include illustrations, photos, graphs, tables and appendices.
- revise, rearrange, and rewrite material.
While developmental editing can overlap with substantive editing, it usually does not include copy editing and proofreading.
The document exists as a rough draft. I will:
- identify an appropriate structure for the document.
- create an outline.
- reorganize material as necessary.
- incorporate language suitable for the audience and the nature of the publication.
- decide if rewriting, additional writing, or major deletions are necessary.
- establish a consistent voice and tone that is identifiably the author’s.
- correct unclear phrases and delete jargon, wordiness, and redundancies.
- identify factual information to be verified as well as possible legal problems, such as libel or plagiarism.
- detect internal inconsistencies and correct them or query the author.
- maintain an amicable relationship with the author while negotiating changes.
The content and structure of the document have been finalised. I will:
- analyse the document line by line, identifying and correcting errors in spelling, punctuation, word usage, consistency of style, and grammar.
- follow an existing style sheet or develop one.
- ensure that sources are acknowledged and verify facts that are considered general knowledge.
- ensure that footnotes/endnotes are correctly placed.
- suggest improvements for clarity and flow.
- make sure that there is internal consistency.
I will not:
- address basic issues of content.
- rework or restructure the document.
Copyediting and proofreading often overlap.
The document is finalised. I will:
- check it against previous copies for discrepancies.
- verify that all amendments have been made.
- identify spelling, typographical or punctuation errors.
- confirm appropriate wordbreaks at ends of lines, and accurate cross-referencing.
- ensure that the set style has been followed.
- verify that the format and layout are consistent.
The document is then ready to be printed or put online.
Web Content Editing
I will review the content of your existing Web site. This includes:
- identifying spelling, grammar, punctuation, and word usage errors.
- assessing text readability—appropriate use of headlines, subheads, font, bold, chunking of text, and white space.
- assessing style, tone, and general content effectiveness.
- evaluating clarity of sentence and paragraph structure.
- assessing site usability.
- verifying that all links work.
- assessing site’s visual appeal.
Call us toll free at 800.864.9152 or email us for a free, no-obligation consultation and quote. We can chat about your projects and we’ll give you a quotation for the work.